Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Great Creation and Flood Myths


Every society has a flood myth it seems. We read a few in class and those are really just a few. My sister has a mythology book in her room that I like to read on occasion. A lot of them have the same premise, even the two we read in class, the story in The Epic of Gilgamesh and in The Book of Genesis. It is crazy to me how similar these types of myths are. Even when they are not close they are still have something to do with a great flood used to restart civilization because of their wrong doings.  Because there are so many flood myths it makes me think that there really was a great flood. If it is written by so many different cultures that had little to do with each other then it most likely happened. I enjoy reading the different cultural takes on it. I also like the similarities in creation myths. My favorite is The Creation Cycle, which is a myth about creation from New Zealand. I found a video that briefly goes over the myth, but like most myths reading it is better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uQLjXocHSI  but I could not find the actual video to attach so above is a video of the telling of the story. No matter what you believe in or where you come from there are a few constants, creation and a flood. This fact intrigues me and makes me feel connected to others.  

No comments:

Post a Comment