Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Oedipus and His Complex


Oedipus is a story that I always enjoyed in school. Before we read Antigone in school our teacher also gave us the option to read Oedipus and being the reader I am, I happily read the story. It is a story that seems to pop us all over the place. Recently I was talking to a friend about Freud and he informed me that Freudian slips are common knowledge now, but people do not know much else about Freud’s psychology. In high school I took Psychology and learned a lot about Freud. I asked my friend if he knew the psychosexual stages of development. He did not and I informed him of them. He thought I was crazy and then I explained the Oedipus complex to him. It always intrigued me how things are referenced in other fields. Naming to complex after the story of Oedipus makes perfect since to me because they are very similar. I also find it amazing when sciences reference the humanities. It is a great way to bring everything together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment